The St. Jude The Information Services Internship Program offers motivated undergraduate students the opportunity to gain experience and better understand the rapidly changing world of health informatics. During a summer internship, interns will work alongside IT professionals on projects in the workplace. Successful applicants will be entitled to a stipend.
The internship experience will include:
- Integration planning, development, testing and implementation
- Creation and negotiation of interface specification documentation for a real project
- Development of the patient demographics interface
- Training and hands-on experience with HL7, APIs, and bedside device integrations.
- Best practice strategies for implementing and maintaining integration.
All internships are located in Memphis, TN.
Information services internships will be project-based with exposure to various components of an IT environment. The internship will include a summary presentation for senior managers in the department.
Applicants should note that our internships are full-time learning experiences. You should expect to be available Monday through Friday during normal business hours from June 5, 2023 to August 11, 2023.
Please note: As of September 10, 2021, St. Jude The Children’s Research Hospital has made the COVID-19 vaccine mandatory for all employees, contractors and interns, excluding those with approved medical or religious accommodation. Proof of vaccination status is required.
Typical learning opportunities
As an experiential and immersive program, you will develop and hone your practical skills in a wide range of areas, including:
- Brainstorm and cultivate new ideas that expand the way information technology is delivered to the St. Jude customer (ranging from employees to patient care).
- Training through thematic sessions led by IT executives.
- Work with technology to align the department with institutional strategic direction to meet the challenges of tomorrow.
- Learn about the industry and gain invaluable experience working on IT-related projects.
- Additionally, you will participate in various activities such as hospital visits, networking opportunities, relationship building with various professionals in the facility, and have access to a dedicated mentor to continue developing new skills.
- Interested applicants must be enrolled in an accredited college program.
- Applicants are accepted from all majors; an interest in computer science or another computer-related field is preferred 3.0 GPA or higher. GPA will be validated through transcripts and communication with an advisor. Any exceptions to these requirements must be approved by the Vice President of Academic Programs.
- Must be a first cycle student entering sophomore, junior or senior to be considered.
Characteristics of the successful candidate
The students most likely to succeed as an intern will possess the following:
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Strong organizational, problem solving and analytical skills
- Ability to manage priorities and work independently when required
- Proven ability to meet deadlines
- Ability to exercise independent judgment
How to register
To apply, send a cover letter and CV to [email protected]. Your letter should include the information services internship for which you are applying and a statement about how participation in this internship would support your academic and professional goals.
Please note: Any previous internships or work experience must be included in the resume.
Successful applicants will be entitled to a stipend. All other expenses, including accommodation, food and transportation, are the responsibility of the selected interns.
Deadline for submission of cover letter and curriculum vitae
The application deadline for the 2023 Summer Internship is January 31, 2023.
Please email [email protected] with any questions.