Catholic Relief Services, a development organization, seeks qualified, experienced and highly motivated individuals MEL Director, Cameroon Malaria Project who will manage and provide technical oversight of Monitoring, Evaluation and Learning (MEL) in the development and implementation of a Presidential Malaria Initiative (PMI) funded project, ensuring that effective MEL plans, systems and processes are in place that support high quality programming that advances the project’s purpose and objectives. Your MEL-related management skills and knowledge as well as your experience in PMI and malaria programming will ensure that the project delivers high quality programming and continuously works to improve the impact of its malaria programming in supporting the mission of Catholic Relief Services (CRS) to serve the poor and vulnerable.
The position is based at Yaoundé/Cameroon and depends on funding approved by the donor
- Provide management, guidance and technical oversight to the MEL in the malaria control project throughout the project cycle to ensure that project design, start-up, implementation and close-out are compliant CRS quality principles and standards and MEL policies, procedures and practices, donor MEL guidelines and industry best practices. Lead the development and ongoing update of the project’s MEL system and plans.
- Effectively manage talent for MEL and oversee a team of MEL staff on the malaria project. Manage team dynamics and staff well-being. Provide coaching, strategically align individual development plans and complete performance management for direct reports.
- Champion the development of curriculum learning and the implementation of MEL policy. Identify opportunities for learning, research and publications in malaria programming and collaborate with external research partners to facilitate the dissemination of promising practices and lessons learned to contribute to the agency’s knowledge management agenda. Promote the application of learning to improve program quality and strengthen agency influence with external stakeholders. Ensure the integration of innovations and best practices related to MEL.
- Provide management, guidance, and technical oversight for the development and implementation of high-quality MEL systems and processes, including digital technology to improve data quality, availability, and decision-making, and application of responsible data principles in accordance with agency and donor requirements for the malaria project. Promote MEL policies and industry best practices, champion the analysis and use of project performance data in the malaria project to inform decision-making and identify lessons learned. Facilitate connections between colleagues and peers to generate and share evidence-based learning.
- Provide management, guidance, and technical oversight of evaluation events and research for the malaria project, including the development of terms of reference or study protocols that include evaluation/discussion questions. learning, a balance between qualitative and quantitative methods, appropriate consideration of ethics and data protection standards, and the necessary technical rigor. Oversee the quality of evaluation data through good data management. Support the identification, recruitment and management of external evaluators or research partners to ensure high quality evaluation, research and learning.
- Oversee technical assistance and capacity building activities related to MEL in the malaria project for staff and partner organizations to improve program quality and impact.
- Oversee the identification, assessment and strengthening of relevant partnerships for MEL in the malaria project and the appropriate application of partnership concepts, tools and approaches.
- Oversee timely and appropriate project MEL expenditures in accordance with financial plans and the effective use and management of project material sources.
Qualifications and experience:
- Master’s degree in statistics, public health, epidemiology, international development, MEAL, or other relevant field required. Additional experience may replace some studies.
- Minimum of 5 years of experience in relevant field project management roles required, preferably with at least 3 years working in technical or MEL management positions. Recent work experience in PMI strongly appreciated.
- Experience in managing moderately complex projects, preferably with an international NGO.
- 3-5 years of people management experience and skills conducive to a learning environment.
- People management experience and abilities conducive to a learning environment is preferred.
- Experience in capacity building is a plus.
- Good experience in managing project grants, including project design, preferably for grants from multiple public donors, including USAID.
- Demonstrated ability to write high quality reports and contribute to technical proposals.
- Experience collaborating with partner organizations and working with stakeholders at different levels.
- Solid experience in overseeing and providing MEL technical assistance for government, international and local partners in malaria programming.
- Experience in designing monitoring and evaluation frameworks, conducting statistical analysis, contributing to evaluation reports and interpreting data to facilitate project decision-making.
- Experience using MS Windows and MS Office packages (Excel, Word, PowerPoint), web conferencing applications, information management systems.
- Proven ability to coach, mentor and provide effective capacity building to peers, direct reports and partner staff.
- Ability to represent and present at high levels.
- Excellent written and oral skills in French and English required.
- Additional local languages a plus.
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills, with an ability to exercise good judgment and make informed decisions and propose innovative solutions
- Strong relationship management skills. Ability to build relationships with people at all levels, internally and externally. Strategic in how you approach each relationship.
- Good presentation and facilitation skills
- Proactive, resourceful, solution-oriented and results-oriented
- Able to adapt quickly to change and react with effective strategies.
- Attention to detail, accuracy and timeliness in carrying out assigned responsibilities
Travel required: Must be willing and able to travel up to 30% (mainly in Cameroon).
Disclaimer: This job description is not an exhaustive list of the skills, efforts, duties and responsibilities associated with the position.
How to register
Applications, including cover letter and CV, 3 references and copies of supporting documents relevant to the application should be sent to:
The resident representative
PO Box 1851, Yaoundé – Cameroon or by email to: [email protected] specifying “**MEL Director, Cameroon Malaria Project” **in the subject of the email
Closing date: August 31, 2022, at 4:30 p.m.
Applications that are incomplete or received after the deadline will not be considered.
This position is a local position and open only to Cameroonian nationals in the country.
Female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply and only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
By applying for this position, I understand and acknowledge that this organization requires its staff to treat all people with dignity and respect and to actively prevent harassment, abuse, exploitation and human trafficking. Further, I understand that if I am a successful candidate, I will be subject to a thorough background check and my personal/professional references will be requested to assess my behaviors related to the agency’s Safeguard Policy.